The 2017 Chevrolet Equinox vs. The 2017 Ford Escape
With the small crossover SUV segment becoming ever better-equipped to take on the needs of active families, the 2017 Chevrolet Equinox and 2017 Ford Escape are both finding themselves in the spotlight. The competitive crossover segment has forced Chevy and Ford to pull out all the stops with their respective models, which can make the Equinox and the Escape tough to compare. That’s why we’ve broken it down for you across this quick and easy comparison.
Powertrains and MPG
On the surface, the Escape may impress with three available engines to the Equinox’s two, with options including:
- 2.5L Four-Cylinder: Makes 168 horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque.
- 1.5L Turbo Four-Cylinder: Efficiency-focused for up to 30 mpg on the highway, the 1.5L makes 179 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque.
- 2.0L Turbocharger Four-Cylinder: Makes up to 245 horsepower and 275 lb-ft of torque.
However, while the Ford Escape is about quantity, the Chevy Equinox is all about quality. A 182 horsepower, 172 lb-ft of torque 2.4L four-cylinder comes as standard on the Equinox, delivering power superior to both the standard Escape engine and its upgraded 1.5L. The Chevy Equinox also achieves 31 mpg, a feat the Ford is incapable of. For sheer power, the Equinox’s 301 horsepower, 272 lb-ft of torque 3.6L V6 is going to breeze past even the most powerfully-equipped Escape.
There’s providing more options, and then there’s providing better options, which is exactly what the Chevy Equinox does.
A compact SUV should still be plenty roomy inside; that’s what makes the segment such a favorite among American families. However, the 2017 Ford Escape falls short of the standard set by the airy Chevy Equinox. You’ll notice that as soon as you slip into the driver’s seat, with up to 40.9 inches of headroom in the Chevy versus just 39.9 in the Ford. Of course, it’s the rear passengers that really going to feel the pinch in the Escape; there’s up to only 37.3 inches or rear legroom compared to an inviting 39.9 in the Equinox.
And the Chevy Equinox isn’t only about space. It’s design also emphasizes striking style, with available Special Editions including the Equinox Midnight in sleek Mosaic Black Metallic and the Sport Edition in upscale Summit White.
When it comes to technology, the 2017 Chevy Equinox continues as it’s begun by dramatically outpacing the 2017 Ford Escape. Only the Equinox offers:
- 7-Inch Touchscreen Interface: Command everything from Bluetooth® calls to music selection through your high-resolution touchscreen. This makes the Escape’s 4.2-inch central display look downright shabby in contrast.
- 4G WiFi Hotspot: Providing a stronger and more reliable connection than your smartphone, this segment-first WiFi hotspot connects with up to seven devices at a time. Stuck on Route 680 during your morning commute and need to email your clients? Want to check up on Council Bluffs restaurants for your upcoming anniversary? You can get online and easily take care of business inside the Equinox.
The 2017 Chevrolet Equinox Comes Out Ahead of the 2017 Ford Escape
Striking a tempting middle-ground between the efficiency and driving dynamics of a sedan and the interior space of a full-sized SUV, the 2017 Chevy Equinox is a winner in every way you could imagine. To find out more, simply contact Gregg Young Chevrolet Omaha, or come on down to our showroom, conveniently located in West Omaha at 17750 Burt St.